Fully Funded ANSO-CAS-TWAS/UNESCO PhD Scholarship sponsors up to 50 students or scholars from developing countries to study in China for doctoral degrees for up to 4 years, per an agreement between the Alliance of International Science Organizations (ANSO), the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS), and The World Academy of Sciences (TWAS/UNESCO) for the advancement of science in developing countries.
|Host Country||Full Tuition + 7,000 CNY/month + Allowances|
|No. of Fellowships||50|
|Eligible Nationality||Developing countries|
|Fellowship Type||Fully Funded|
|Benefits||Full Tuition + 7,000 CNY/month + Allownaces|
|Duration||Up to 4 years|
|Closing Date||15 February 2024|
The ANSO-CAS-TWAS/UNESCO PhD Scholarship, a subcategory of the ANSO Scholarship, is formally launching this year. The two target groups—women and least developed countries, or LDCs—will receive special (not exclusive) treatment, in line with TWAS/UNESCO priorities. TWAS/UNESCO will choose up to 50 PhD candidates each year from developing South American nations for this category.
The principal funder of the ANSO Scholarship is CAS, a prominent ANSO founding member. The ANSO-CAS-TWAS/UNESCO PhD Scholarship recipients get some financing from TWAS and UNESCO, two of ANSO’s founding members. All parties and members who would like to work with ANSO to develop a more varied scholarship program are invited.
Table of Contents
The Chinese Academy of Sciences founded USTC as its inaugural university in 1958. This all-encompassing institution focuses on cutting-edge research and advanced technologies and offers courses in science, engineering, management, and humanities. When it came to starting the Graduate School, the School of Gifted Young, significant national scientific initiatives, etc., USTC took the lead. It is currently a well-known Chinese institution with a stellar international reputation; as a result, it is a part of the China 9 Consortium, which is made up of China’s top 9 universities. One of China’s most significant innovation hubs, USTC is known as “the Cradle of Scientific Elites.” Undergraduate and graduate programs are offered at USTC.
The University of Chinese Academy of Sciences, or UCAS, is a cutting-edge institution that combines scientific research and teaching, prioritizes graduate studies, and offers excellent undergraduate instruction. The Graduate University of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, founded in 1978, was its precursor. Over 50,000 students are enrolled at UCAS, the largest graduate school in China, with over half of them being PhD students. Ninety percent of all degrees in the engineering fields and all master’s and doctoral degrees in the scientific fields may be awarded by UCAS.
The mission of the World Academy of Sciences for the Advancement of Science in Developing Countries (UNESCO-TWAS) is to promote scientific excellence and sustainable prosperity in the global South through research project funding, education and training, science policy development, and raising the profile of science diplomacy, among other means.
Benefits of ANSO-CAS-TWAS/UNESCO PhD Scholarship
The following are the benefits of the ANSO-CAS-TWAS/UNESCO PhD Scholarship
- Tuition waiver
- Monthly stipend: 6,000 or 7,000 CNY/month (depending on whether the awardee has passed the qualification test arranged by the University), up to 48 months
- Health insurance
- Application fee waiver
- International travel allowance from awardee’s home country to China (one trip per awarded candidate)
- One-time visa
The ANSO-CAS-TWAS/UNESCO PhD Scholarship applicants should meet the following criteria:
- Applicants who qualify should not be citizens of China;
- Applicants must be citizens of South African developing nations that meet the requirements (Developing Countries in the South | TWAS).
- Candidates must be fluent in either Chinese or English.
- Applicants to PhD programs must be born on or after January 1, 1989, inclusive.
- The requirements for admission to USTC/UCAS for international students must be fulfilled by qualified candidates.
- Applicants who qualify should refrain from taking on additional responsibilities while receiving their scholarship.
- The applicant will not be qualified for the PhD program of this scholarship if s/he is presently enrolled in a doctoral program at any Chinese university or institution. If not, the applicant will not be allowed to be admitted, and the present university or institution will be notified of the situation.
The following fields are eligible for the ANSO-CAS-TWAS/UNESCO PhD Scholarship:
- 01-Agricultural Sciences
- 02-Structural, Cell and Molecular Biology
- 03-Biological Systems and Organisms
- 04-Medical and Health Sciences incl. Neurosciences
- 05-Chemical Sciences
- 06-Engineering Sciences
- 07-Astronomy, Space and Earth Sciences
- 08-Mathematical Sciences
- 10-Social and Economic Sciences
The last date to apply for theANSO-CAS-TWAS/UNESCO PhD Scholarship is 15 February 2024.
Complete the following steps to apply for the ANSO-CAS-TWAS/UNESCO PhD Scholarship:
- Before the deadline, complete and submit your application via the USTC/UCAS admission portal as instructed.
- When submitting an application, make sure you select “the ANSO Scholarship for Young Talents” first.
- Secondly, you must check the box in the application system as directed if you wish to be taken into consideration as a possible candidate for the ANSO-CAS-TWAS/UNESCO PhD Scholarship.
Here is the link to the USTC admissions system portal.
Here’s the link to the UCAS admissions system:
For more details about the ANSO-CAS-TWAS/UNESCO PhD Scholarship, visit here.